Avoid Frequent Dishwasher Repair
-Keep These Items Out!
Your grandma probably saw those days, but can you imagine life without a dishwasher? Isn’t it a joy to just stand there, throw in all your food-stained kitchenware, press a button and watch them emerging sparkling clean in less than an hour? However, if you really love your machine and want lasting performance, think twice before you do just that. Not every item in your sink is suitable for the steaming water, strong detergent and wash cycle of your dishwasher. Some of your favourite items may come out damaged or worse, damage your valuable dishwasher in the process.
Dishwasher repair is not always easy even if you are a savvy DIY expert. It can be risky and cause more harm than good. Our fully trained and certified team at Cosmos Appliance has been offering affordable, reliable repair services to residents of Surrey for decades. To keep it in sparkling condition just like your dishes, here are some words of advice from our experts.
5 Do’s and Don’ts to Avoid Breakdowns and Dishwasher Repairs
Don’t rush to place every food-stained item into your dishwasher. It’s worth taking the time and effort to simply handwash some common items rather than incur the expense of dishwasher repair.
1) Cast Iron and Non-Stick Pans: It is tempting to throw in items that are hardest to clean. However, the harsh detergent in the dishwasher can wear down the coating, causing cast iron pans to rust easily. The heavy pans can also ruin the dish slots in the machine. The same goes for non-stick pans that lose their coating after prolonged exposure to heated water and high pressure. Food sticks to the pan when the non-stick film is ruined, losing the very purpose of cooking in them.
2) Copper and Aluminum Cookware: Copper loses not only its shine but also its color when thrown in the dishwasher. If you don’t want your metal dishes and pots to be discoloured, always clean them by hand. Aluminum ware turns dull and may get scratched too. Hand wash these items with a gentle dishwashing soap instead.
3) Knives: Abrasive detergents wear down sharp edges. Knives may also scratch other dishes when they move around during machine wash. Keep chef knives away from the dishwasher, especially when they are top quality. Dull butter knives do well in there.
4) Crystal Glasses: Crystal ware can chip in your machine. The high heat of the water and strong soap suds can dull their shine. Gently wash them by hand instead and dry well with a soft cloth before you put them away.
5) Vegetable and Cheese Graters: Your perforated kitchen items such as graters and garlic press are best washed by hand. Crumbs, fiber from root vegetables like ginger and sticky cheese bits left on your grater can remain even after a good wash. Scrub them by hand instead.
Call Cosmos Appliance Service in Surrey for Prompt Dishwasher Repairs
Your dishwasher can serve you for years and even decades if you handle it with care. If it stalls or breaks down, contact us at Cosmos Appliance for prompt, professional repair services. With over 30 years of experience, you can be sure your favourite kitchen appliance will be up and running in no time.
For fast, affordable repairs for dishwashers and other home appliances in Surrey, call 604-534-0643. We will be happy to respond as soon as possible.